- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup crushed nacho-flavor or plain tortilla chips
- 3 Tbsp. finely chopped green sweet pepper
- 3/4 tsp. chili powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 lb. uncooked ground chicken
- 4 oz. Monterey Jack cheese with jalapeno peppers, shredded
- 4 Cheesy Corn Bread Slices (below)
- 1 medium avocado, seeded, peeled, and sliced
- Purchased or homemade salsa
1. In a large bowl beat egg with a whisk; stir in crushed tortilla chips, sweet pepper, chili powder, salt, and black pepper. Add chicken; mix well. Shape the chicken mixture into four 3/4-inch-thick patties.
2. Place patties on the grill rack directly over medium heat; grill for 14 to 18 minutes or until no longer pink (165 degrees F), turning once halfway through grilling. Add Cheesy Corn Bread Slices for the last 2 minutes of grilling; turn slices once.
3. Top patties with cheese. Grill for 1 to 2 minutes more or until cheese is melted.
4. Serve patties on toasted Cheesy Corn Bread Slices with avocado and salsa. Makes 4 servings.
5. Cheesy Corn Bread Slices: In a large bowl combine 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour, 1 cup yellow cornmeal, 1/4 cup sugar, 4 teaspoons baking powder, and 1 teaspoon salt. In a small bowl beat 3 eggs, 1-1/2 cups milk, and 1/3 cup cooking oil with a whisk; add all at once to flour mixture. Stir just until moistened. Fold in 1 cx4x2-inch loaf pan. Bake in a 400 degrees F oven about 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove from pan; cool completely. Wrap and store corn bread overnight before slicing. Cut corn bread in half crosswise. Reserve half of the corn bread for another use (if desired, freeze in an airtight freezer container or bag for up to 3 months). Cut remaining half of the corn bread into four lengthwise slices.