- 1/2 medium yellow onion, roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 2 (15-ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained, divided
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped cilantro leaves
- 2 teaspoons freshly chopped parsley leaves
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- Salt and fresh ground black pepper
- 4 hamburger rolls
- 1 tomato, sliced
- 4 small Romaine lettuce leaves, or any other type you have on hand
- 1/4 cup ketchup
Heat a grill or grill pan over medium-low heat.
In a food processor, pulse onion and garlic until finely chopped. Add 1 can black beans, cilantro, parsley, egg, and red pepper flakes and pulse to combine.
Transfer mixture to a large mixing bowl, add the remaining can of black beans and the bread crumbs. Season with salt and pepper, to taste, and mix until well combined.
Reserve 1/3 of the black bean mixture for Round 2 Recipe. Divide remaining mixture into 4 portions and form into patties. Place on hot oiled grill over medium-low heat and cook about 6 minutes a side or until heated through. Toast hamburger buns on a grill. Place a burger on the bottom of each bun. Top with lettuce, tomato and ketchup. Cover the burgers with the top of the bun and serve.
Sweet Potato Fries
- 2 sweet potatoes, washed
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Place a baking sheet in the oven.
On a cutting board, slice the sweet potatoes in half lengthwise. Slice each half into 6 wedges. Place wedges in a large bowl, add canola oil, season with salt and pepper, to taste, and toss to coat.
Remove the baking sheet from the oven. Place the fries onto the baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes. Turn the fries and bake for another 15 minutes until brown and crispy. Transfer to a serving bowl and serve.