Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Cohen's 2nd Birthday - The Details

As I mentioned in the previous post, we had an animal themed birthday party for Cohen. I didn't want to go to overkill with the theme, so I tried to keep it to a minimum.

The first item I worked on were the invitations. I had found a few Etsy sellers and online stationary shops, but after budgeting, I decided to make my own. I found an image online that I liked and had colors in mind I wanted for the party and went from there.


Next I had visions for the cake. I knew I wanted some animals on the cake, but done in a more modern way. I googled animal images and found some that were along the lines of what I wanted. I then drew out what I wanted and a friend of ours who loves baking made my vision come to life. The cake was delicious and came out great and I didn't have to make it!


Throughout my browsing of different blogs, I noticed a theme of photo booths at parties and fell in love with them! I knew I would definitely have one. I painted the woods wallpaper design onto a table cloth and used that as our backdrop. I think got animal masks from Oriental Trading Co, so all the kids and adults could have fun wearing what they liked for the photo booth. It was a huge hit. And I think almost all the kids wanted to wear every mask.


For the decorations, I made a simple Happy Birthday Cohen banner from scrapbooking paper and used the leftover paper to make two small banners with circles on them.


And we had two goldfish flanking the fireplace.


I printed out some free animal coloring pages from the internet and put them in the living room for the kids to color while waiting for every one to join the party.


For food we had some animal themed items, goldfish, teddy grahams, gummy bears, animal crackers. There was also a veggies tray, some fresh fruit, and for the main lunch, we had pulled chicken, and rice and beans.


The favor bags were kept simple. They included an animal themed activity booklet, a parachute animal, and animal crackers.


I also bought a $3 t-shirt for Cohen and used a tutorial on how to make a freezer paper stencil, and put a #2 on it.


It was a lot of fun planning this party and we spent less money than my husband thought, which is a huge bonus!! And a big thanks to our parents with helping contribute for food!

No comments:

Post a Comment