Monday, January 10, 2011

Big Tree Park

One of our goals for the new year is to spend more time as a family doing fun activities outdoors. An idea I came up with was to visit different Parks/Nature Trails/Hiking Trails through out Central Florida. We would do this once a month and see how it goes.

For our first adventure we visited Big Tree Park.



It is home to the largest Cypress Tree in the United States. It stands 118 ft tall, but once stood somewhere around 165 ft tall before a hurricane came and chopped it's head off. It is also 17 ft in diameter.




I remember visiting this a couple times when I was a kid and I think Jay and I may have visited it while we were dating. So, it was a lot of fun to bring the kids to it. I know it won't be the last time we visit it. They have a picnic area and playground for the kids. Plus it's only 10 minutes away from our house.















No comments:

Post a Comment