- 3 ounces rice sticks (also called rice noodles) or thin vermicelli, broken
- 12 ounces skinless, boneless chicken thighs or breasts
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons snipped fresh basil or 2 teaspoons dried basil, crushed
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon chili oil or 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 2 medium carrots, cut into julienne strips
- 2 cups broccoli flowerets
- 1 red or green sweet pepper, cut into 1-inch strips (1/2 cup)
- 1/4 cup cashew halves or peanuts
1. In a saucepan cook rice sticks in boiling water for 3 minutes. (Or, cook vermicelli according to package directions.) Drain. Set aside; keep warm.
2. Meanwhile, cut chicken thighs or breasts into thin, bite-sized strips; set aside.
3. For sauce, combine chicken broth, soy sauce, basil, cornstarch, chili oil or crushed red pepper, and turmeric; set aside.
4. Add cooking oil to wok or 12-inch skillet. Preheat over medium-high heat (add more oil if necessary during cooking). Stir-fry carrot strips in hot oil for 1 minute. Add broccoli flowerets; stir-fry for 2 minutes more. Add red or green sweet pepper strips; stir-fry for 1-1/2 to 3 minutes more or until crisp-tender. Remove vegetables from wok. Add chicken to wok; stir-fry for 2 to 3 minutes or until no longer pink. Push chicken from center of wok.
5. Stir sauce; add to center of wok. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Return vegetables to wok. Stir to coat. Cook and stir 2 minutes more or until heated through. Serve immediately over hot rice sticks or vermicelli. Top with cashews or peanuts. Makes 4 servings.